When it comes to orthodontic treatments, Invisalign is an increasingly popular option. And it’s easy to see why — not only is Invisalign an effective teeth straightening method, but since the system uses clear plastic aligners, it looks less obvious than braces.
But can Invisalign fix overcrowded teeth, or is it just a mild teeth crowding treatment? The short answer is yes, Invisalign can fix teeth crowding. 15 million people have already benefited from using Invisalign to straighten their smiles. However, you’ll need to meet specific criteria for Invisalign to be an effective solution.
If you’ve ever considered braces or Invisalign for crowded teeth, then read on — working with an experienced orthodontist can help you achieve the smile you’ve been dreaming of!
What Is Invisalign?
Braces are the classic solution many people think of when looking to fix teeth crowding or other orthodontic issues. But traditional braces bring up thoughts of uncomfortable wires that poke the inside of your mouth and obvious brackets. First introduced in 1999, Invisalign is the clear alternative to braces that combines the power of 3D printing and computer technology to adjust your teeth discreetly.
Invisalign consists of thin, transparent plastic trays called aligners. Each tray fits over your teeth like a mouthguard and can be removed, unlike braces. Per your orthodontist’s personalized treatment plan, you’ll continuously switch aligners to shift your teeth into the correct alignment.
The trays are more comfortable than traditional braces, being flush with your teeth. They can be taken out for eating and brushing, allowing you to maintain good dental hygiene during treatment, and they don’t require many dietary restrictions.
Can Invisalign Fix Overcrowded Teeth?
Overcrowding occurs when there’s not enough space for all of your teeth to fit in your mouth. If not addressed, overcrowding can lead to dental decay, gum disease, and can prevent the normal function of teeth. Additionally, overcrowding may lower your confidence and make you feel self-conscious when smiling.
So can aligners fix crowded teeth? Yes, Invisalign can be used to treat overcrowding – here’s how:
How Does Invisalign Fix Teeth Crowding?
- Consultation: During your initial consultation, your orthodontist will evaluate the degree of overcrowding and determine if Invisalign is a suitable treatment option.
- Digital Impressions and Treatment Plan: If you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, the next step is getting your teeth scanned using a 3D scanning system. This will create a virtual model of your mouth, which is used to create your aligners.
- Custom-Fitted Aligners: Based on the treatment plan, a series of custom aligners are made. Each aligner is slightly different from the previous one, reflecting the step-by-step movement of the teeth.
- Wear the Aligners: You’ll wear the aligners for no less than 20-22 hours a day, switching them for a new set every week or two.
- Monitor Progress: Throughout your treatment, you’ll schedule regular appointments with your orthodontist, who will monitor progress and make any needed adjustments.
- Maintain Results: Once you’re achieved a beautiful, healthy smile, it’s important to wear retainers to keep your new smile looking straight for years to come.
As long as you comply with your orthodontist’s instructions, Invisalign can be an effective way to straighten your smile.
Does Invisalign for Severely Crowded Teeth Work?
Invisalign for severely crowded teeth, gaps, or complex bite issues may not be as effective on their own. For certain cases, your orthodontist may use Invisalign attachments and buttons or combine Invisalign treatment with other teeth straightening methods like braces. An experienced orthodontist can develop the right treatment plan that suits your needs and goals.
How Long Does Invisalign Take To Fix Teeth Crowding?
After getting an answer to, “Can Invisalign fix overcrowding?” the next question is often, “How long does Invisalign take for crowded teeth?” The time it takes to fix crowded teeth with Invisalign depends on a few things:
- The severity of your misalignment
- The complexity of your case
- Your compliance with the treatment plan
- The experience of the orthodontist
can invisalign fix overcrowded teethMost Invisalign treatments take anywhere from 6 to 18 months. Some mild cases can be completed in as little as 3 months, while others might extend to the 2-year mark.
Ask Dr. Bates If Invisalign Is Right For You
With the right orthodontist and treatment plan, Invisalign can be a viable method to fix teeth crowding. However, it’s important to speak with an orthodontic professional who can ultimately determine the best treatment type for your case.
At Bates Orthodontics, we understand that every patient’s needs and smile are unique, which is why we offer a range of orthodontic services, from Invisalign to LightForce braces. We believe a great smile can change a life. We also know that it’s important to find an orthodontic practice that you can trust.
Book a free consult to meet our friendly team and get all the information you need to make an informed decision—no pressure. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve the confident smile you deserve!