Teeth straightening for older adults is a standard procedure. Over the years, your teeth can shift and move if not retained, changing your smile and lowering your confidence. Since its introduction, Invisalign has quickly become a popular choice for patients of all ages, including older adults.
But is Invisalign good for older adults? In this article, we take a closer look at Invisalign for seniors and answer some of your top questions, such as:
- Can I get braces when I’m older?
- What are my options for teeth straightening after 50?
- What are the best invisible braces for senior citizens?
- What is involved with Invisalign for older adults?
If you’re wondering, “Can you be too old to get braces?” you’ve come to the right place! Let’s look at Invisalign as a method of teeth straightening for older adults and its benefits.
Can I Get Braces When I’m Older?
If you’re exploring teeth straightening for older adults, you may wonder, “Can you be too old to get braces?” The general answer is no. Age is typically not a factor in determining whether you’re a good candidate for braces. Regardless of your age, braces are a great option for aligning your teeth and perfecting your smile.
Braces For Senior Citizens
If you’re asking, “Can I get braces when I’m older?” we have good news: You can! Lightforce and traditional braces are effective methods of teeth straightening for older adults. The first step is scheduling a consultation to learn more about each treatment option.
During the appointment, you will meet with a treatment coordinator (TC) to discuss the various options for braces for seniors based on your lifestyle and goals. Afterward, the orthodontist will complete a thorough exam and provide treatment recommendations.
The consultation is also a great time to ask questions like, “Is Invisalign good for older adults?” if you’re looking for an alternative to braces.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable aligners that patients change every one to two weeks. With every new set of aligners, a patient’s teeth gradually shift into their proper place. Because Invisalign is nearly invisible, many people choose it over traditional braces.
Benefits of Invisalign for Seniors
Invisalign is a treatment that benefits patients of all ages and is a popular choice among adults. Below are some of the top benefits of Invisalign for seniors.
- Invisible: The clear Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible, which is a primary benefit for older adults who need treatment but may be self-conscious about wearing braces.
- Removable: Invisalign aligners can be removed for eating, drinking, and brushing your teeth. Older adults who don’t prefer the semi-permanence of braces will like Invisalign for seniors.
- Comfortable: Invisalign aligners consist of a smooth, medical-grade plastic that is comfortable and gentle on your gums. Older adults who may have sensitive gums will enjoy the ease of wear.
- Successful: Invisalign has a high success rate. In fact, 96% of Invisalign patients would recommend the treatment to their friends and family.
Tips for Caring for Invisalign
Invisalign for older adults boasts dramatic before and afters, but there are some essential tips to follow for optimal results:
- Clean your aligners regularly: It’s essential to clean your aligners daily. If not, plaque and bacteria can build up on the aligners, eventually leading to gum disease and tooth decay. It can also wear down the aligner material more quickly.
- Brush and floss your teeth: Be sure to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day to keep your mouth healthy during treatment.
- Wear your aligners as directed: You must wear your aligners for at least 22 hours per day. Wearing them for less than the recommended time can lengthen the treatment process or compromise the final result.
- Avoid food and drink that can damage aligners: Several foods and drinks can damage the aligners if you aren’t careful. Keep a list of foods to avoid handy to prevent prolonging your treatment.
If you’re committed to the treatment plan prescribed by your orthodontist, Invisalign teeth straightening after 50 can be a huge success.
Bates Orthodontics Offers Teeth Straightening for Older Adults
Teeth straightening for older adults using Invisalign is popular because it’s more comfortable than traditional braces for senior citizens and the aligners are practically invisible. With proper care, Invisalign can help you achieve a straighter, healthier smile.
At Bates Orthodontics, we see patients of all ages; whether you’re 7 or 77 (and sometimes older), we can create a custom treatment plan just for you. We explain our recommendations so you can make an informed decision, but never pressure or rush you. When you become a patient of ours, we treat you like family.
If you want to learn more about teeth straightening after 50, schedule a consultation today. We’ll explain how our team can help you achieve the smile of your dreams at any age!