Over 15 million individuals have relied on Invisalign to achieve their smile goals. Considered a breakthrough in orthodontics, Invisalign helps straighten teeth without traditional metal brackets and wires.
Using a series of nearly invisible, custom-made plastic aligners for teeth, Invisalign works its magic discreetly and comfortably to bring you the smile you want in as little time as possible. These clear aligners are replaced weekly, bringing you closer to your dream smile with every new aligner.
While the shortest amount of time for Invisalign can vary depending on many factors, it’s still one of the best options for straightening teeth. In this blog, we answer the question, “How long does an Invisalign treatment take?” and list several factors that influence your Invisalign treatment plan timeline.
How Long Does An Invisalign Treatment Take To Work?
How fast does Invisalign work? Treatment can take as little as six months, but the average Invisalign time is 12 months. In general, you can expect faster results with Invisalign than with traditional braces. However, the length of your Invisalign treatment plan is influenced by a number of factors.
Factors That Influence Your Invisalign Treatment Plan Timeline
The biggest factor impacting the length of your Invisalign treatment plan is the severity of your dental misalignment. As you can imagine, if your teeth are only slightly crooked or crowded, your treatment will be much faster than if you have extremely misaligned teeth.
The extent and complexity of your case play a significant role in determining how long your Invisalign treatment will take. Sometimes, it’s not just your teeth that are crooked. For example, if your bite is also misaligned, your orthodontist will need to take additional steps to perfect your smile.
Consistency is crucial with Invisalign treatment. You need to wear your aligners for the recommended amount of time each day and change them according to the schedule provided by your orthodontist. Failure to follow instructions can prolong treatment.
You’ll need to schedule regular check-ups so your orthodontist can monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your Invisalign treatment plan. Skipping appointments or not following the recommended adjustments can delay your treatment.
Younger patients, especially teenagers, may experience faster tooth movement due to having more responsive bone structures. How long does Invisalign take for adults? Once adult teeth have fully grown in, they can be a bit more stubborn to move. Even though adults tend to have longer treatment times, treatment duration depends on the factors listed above.
If you have good oral hygiene and overall dental health, your teeth are likely to respond better and move more efficiently. Poor oral hygiene, gum disease, or other dental issues can hinder progress and even prevent you from completing treatment in some cases.
If you’re considering Invisalign treatment, it’s time to schedule a consultation with an experienced orthodontist.
Let Dr. Bates Develop Your Personalized Invisalign Treatment Plan
Whether you’re an adult seeking to transform your smile or a parent looking to straighten your self-conscious teen’s crooked teeth, Invisalign offers an effective, comfortable, and convenient solution for all ages. Here’s what to expect with Invisalign:
- Initial Consultation: During your first visit, Dr. Bates will evaluate your teeth and bite to determine if you’re a suitable candidate for Invisalign. Ask any questions you may have about treatment and communicate your smile goals so he can manage expectations.
- Custom Treatment Plan: Using advanced 3D imaging technology, a personalized Invisalign treatment plan is created for you. This plan outlines the exact movements of your teeth and predicts the stages of your treatment.
- Aligner Fabrication: Based on your treatment plan, a series of clear aligners are custom-made to fit your teeth just right. Each aligner set is designed to be worn for a specific period, about a week, before moving on to the next set.
- Wearing the Aligners: You’ll wear the aligners for 22 hours per day, removing them only for eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing. The aligners are virtually invisible, making them a discreet option for orthodontic treatment.
- Progressive Tooth Movement: As you progress through the series of aligners, your teeth will gradually shift into the desired positions. The aligners exert gentle forces on the teeth, guiding them to their new locations.
- Regular Check-ups: You’ll have periodic check-ups with your orthodontist to monitor your progress and receive new sets of aligners. These check-ups ensure that your treatment is going as planned.
- Completion and Retainers: Once your teeth have reached the desired position, your Invisalign treatment will be complete! To maintain your newly aligned smile, you will be provided with retainers to wear indefinitely.
At Bates Orthodontics, we’re dedicated to helping you achieve your dream smile efficiently and effectively. Book an appointment online to meet with Dr. Bates, who will help you determine whether Invisalign is the right teeth straightening method for you. You’ll get answers to questions like, “How long does an Invisalign treatment take?” based on your unique case.
Though Invisalign may not be the right fit for everyone, it’s a popular choice for many people. Ask Dr. Bates whether Invisalign is right for you by scheduling a complimentary appointment today.